quin damus id superis, de magna quod dare lance
non possit magni Massalae lippa propago?
conpositum ius fasque animo sanctosque recessus
mentis et incoctum generoso pectus honesto.
-- Persius, Satire II: 71-74.

Why don't we give to those above that which the watery-eyed
offspring of the great Massala can't give from his great platter?
Duty to god and man arranged in the heart, cleansed recesses
of the mind, and a breast infused with the noble and the honorable.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Post-Class Reflection (7-30 class)

Having former MACers Kevin, Daver, and Lauren in to speak to us was a very good decision. I was impressed with all three of them for a number of reasons. They all appear to care very much about teaching, and about the kids whom they serve; they certainly are dedicated to their jobs and have an unmistakable passion for teaching. It was very good of them to take the time to come see us.

We got some good ideas about technology elements that we may want to integrate into our classrooms, like clickers and wireless mice for student input, and Wallwisher. I would particularly like to have a better understanding of what the clickers are all about. It sounded like a platform that is difficult to set up, but that really leverages time later. We also got a lot of good advice, such as, from Kevin, the recommendation to use Spring Break to fill out applications and other paperwork necessary to raise our profile up so that school decision makers can find us. Daver impressed on us how demanding this is in terms of time, and that we therefore should not procrastinate on it.

I have nascent ideas about how to help my future students imagine themselves actually being in the ancient world, three dimensionally, so that it can be more real to them. I don't know if the technology will soon be available to me to make this at least partly come true, but I imagine it might. I suspect that kids could better remember what the Circus Maximus was, or the Roman Forum, if they could walk there in a realistic, 3D environment, if they could actually enter the Forum and see the rostra from which Cicero spoke, and upon which later his hands and head were nailed by Antony during the proscriptions. Hearing how Kevin and Daver, in particular, are embracing technology in the classroom, I am encouraged.

I was glad to hear that Lauren is bringing classical elements into the lives of her inner-city kids. That's really something. If not for her, those kids might never have known anything about the ancient cultures that underpin the history of the entire western world, and some of the eastern (Asia Minor & the Near East) and southern (North Africa), too. I'm glad that she thinks this is relevant to them and has found a way to engage them.

Final thought, I am wondering whether there might be a way for us to access Kevin's PowerPoint, and Daver's cell division claymation video.

6 comments:

  1. Jeff is on the hunt for those resources. Really enjoyed our post-class conversation. Enjoy your month off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking about the Powerpoint and the claymation, and thanks to Kristen and Jeff for trying to find out, I am interested, too. I also found it helpful that the former MAC students had such different ways of finding jobs. That way I won't feel bad if I don't get any nibbles from the on-line applications, like Dave. That's a good thing to know.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Monte,

    Loved your ideas about modern technology applications to help students discover the ancient world, such as a 3D exploration of the Roman Colosseum,etc.

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed - the advice on applications was fantastic. I think that's something many of us hadn't thought of, so I think they brought us to reality in a way with that bit. You're right, they have all found fantastic ways to use technology and engage their students; I think they seem like great role models, and hopefully we will be soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last class really was a wake-up call for me. Soon, very soon, we are going to be filling out job applications and worrying about what our next move will be. Since 2008, my life has revolved around taking prereq's for the MAC program, the GRE, and writing personal statements.

    Great applications for your classroom. This class has me excited to think about all the different ways we can use technology. Since technology is endless, there are endless opportunities that await us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monte,
    I hope you are enjoying your summer with your family.
    I would like to comment on your question regarding clickers.
    A professor of mine used them in a chemistry class; they were an awesome way for the teacher to monitor student learning in real time. The teacher would simply ask a question and the students would click in their responses. The teacher could monitor how well the class was learning as well as identify who was having difficulty without having to call on anyone. The teacher then adjusted the lesson accordingly.
    I am not sure what is involved in order to set up the clicker system, but I am sure it is not difficult thing to do.

    ReplyDelete